When ‘Gossip Girl’ first came on the scene, it was an instant success. The glamorous life of Upper East Siders, the fashion, the scandal, the music and, of course, those delectable one-liners. But none of the show’s characters took the world by storm more than the mysterious Serena Van Der Woodsen. Even in Season 6, the show’s intro still featured its signature hushed questions — about Serena. “Is that Serena?” “Where has she been?”
Serena loved hard, and her open heart and free spirit were often the source of the drama surrounding her. But while some of us were addicted to that head-over-heels feeling she brought to every single episode, others found it a little eye-roll-inducing. Let’s review some of the reasons why we loved and hated her.
Why We Love her:
1. Her sense of style is on point.
2. Her beachy waves inspired a real-life nationwide movement.
3. “S” gave “Lonely Boy” a chance.
4. She’s certainly one of the most relatable characters on ‘Gossip Girl.’
5. And she had a stellar sense of humor.
6. She loved the ‘Gossip Girl’ locale even more than Blair did.
7. And she could certainly break out the sass.
Reasons Why We Hate Her:
1. The whole “I killed someone” incident.
2. She was a tad selfish.
3. She gave everyone a chance. Emphasis on “everyone.”
4. And that got a little boring.
5. She spouted a few unforgivably cliché lines.
Even if she sometimes spoke the truth.
Whether you loved her or hated her, we all miss her (and we wish ‘Gossip Girl’ and S didnt have such an awkward goodbye).